It is very easy to fall in the trap of shortsighted job search particularly when you are unemployed and bordering on desperation. Most people would consider any or all the following:
- Pay rate. As long as it is paying more than what I used to get, I don’t mind downgrading into another position or doing something unrelated to what I used to do.
- Close to home. I don’t mind going down a notch in my pay grade or doing less challenging role as long as I can be home early enough for dinner.
- Great company. I am willing to take any job as long as I get to work in a prestigious company that is known for its stability.
- First job offer. I should really take this first job offer lest I end up being unemployed for a long period of time. I can always jump ship when I find a better one.
How would it serve you to consider:
- How and where would this position lead you to the next time around? Is it going to open up opportunities for a higher, broader, higher-paying position?
- How many kilometer radius are you willing to drive from home for a position that would leverage you for a better position eventually? What trade-offs are you willing to consider for the distance?
- Would you be willing to take a chance in a smaller, developing company that offers potentials for broader or higher responsibility?
- How long would you be willing to wait for the job that puts you in a strategic position for future growth?